Operating Room Committee
The Operating Room Committee is an interdisciplinary committee charged to coordinate and standardize the care of patients undergoing surgical or other invasive procedures. It is a committee of the medical staff. This Committee oversees clinical practice related to Preoperative, intraoperative and Postoperative procedure care. It has the authority to establish clinical procedure and policy within the Operating Rooms and recommend policy related to those procedures outside of the Operating Room. It works collaboratively with the quality improvement quality to monitor and improve care and ensure patient safety.
Members of the Operating Room Committee
- Chief or director of the department of surgery ( a surgeon) – The Chair of this Committee shall be a Physician from one of the surgical specialties or subspecialties.
- Director of the anesthesia department (in teaching hospitals only)
- Other chiefs or representatives of the specialty services
- OR nurse manager – shares with the OR committee, hospital administration and nursing service the responsibility for clarification, implementation and day-to-day enforcement of approved policies and procedures.
- OR coordinator or OR business manager
- Hospital administrator and director (optional)
Responsibilities and Duties
- Responsible for professional practice and administrative activities within their respective departments.
- Maintain continuing evaluation of the professional performance of all members of the medical staff.
- Serve as liaison representatives between the medical staff and hospital administration.
- Formulate policies and procedures pertaining to utilization of facilities, schedule of surgical procedures and maintenance of a safe environment. Policies and associated directives formulated and approved by the committee serve as guides for governing the actions of surgeons, anesthesiologists and the Operating Room nursing staff while in the OR suite.
- Utilizes evidence-based medicine to recommend changes in the clinical practice.
- Approves policy and procedures that are specific to the Operating Room.
- Provides Institutional oversight and direction for staff and faculty education related to operative and invasive procedures and care of the surgical patient.
- Ensures an effective process for patient and family education related to surgical care and informed consent.
- Works collaboratively with the quality improvement quality to monitor and improve care and ensure patient safety.
- Monitors adherence to policies and procedures.
- Recommends corrective measures to the hospital administration for efficient functioning within the OR suite.
image courtesy of blog.pardeehospital.org