- A nutrient is a chemical that an organism needs to live and grow or a substance used in an organism’s metabolism which must be taken in from its environment.
- The effects of nutrients are dose-dependent.
- Organic nutrients include carbohydrates, fats, proteins (or their building blocks, amino acids), and vitamins.
- Inorganic chemical compounds such as Dietary mineral; water and oxygen may also be considered nutrients.
- A nutrient is essential to an organism if it cannot be synthesized by the organism in sufficient quantities and must be obtained from an external source.
- Nutrients needed in relatively large quantities are called macronutrients and those needed in relatively small quantities are called micronutrients.
What Do You Think?