Myopia is also known as near-sightedness. The lens tends to shorten making the individual with myopia to have a difficulty in seeing things that are far. They may report to see things from a far as blurred or plain.
Normally, in order for an individual to see, the lens of the eye bends in order to absorb the light and then processed at the back surface which is medically called retina. In nearsightedness, there is a tendency that the eyes could not capture the whole picture making the things seem blurry. The lens has a problem in focusing the lens. Both men and women may have myopia. A familial history of myopia is a strong predictor of having myopia also.
A person with myopia may claim that they do not have a problem in reading or seeing things within their arm’s length. However, when it comes seeing things from a far, they may even have episodes of waving to a person that they perceive that they know but when up close they do not.
Myopia may start early; teachers in the grade school may be the first one to notice that children have a difficulty in reading words on the board.
Signs and symptoms:
- Some may complain headaches
- Ophthalmologists may use charts intended for people with myopia. The Snellen chart can be difficult to read so they would eventually use the Jaeger eye chart.
- The eye pressure is also assessed with the use of intraocular pressure measurement. Tonometry is used to gauge the eye pressure. Aside from myopia, with the use of tonometry, glaucoma can also be diagnosed.
- Refraction tests are also recommended. With this procedure, the ophthalmologists can now prescribed glass or contact lenses that can correct the perception.
- Slit-lamp examination is used in order to assess the parts of the eyes including the lens, cornea, iris as well as the retina.
- Color vision test is also indicated in order to find out if together with myopia, the individual is also suffering from another eye problem which is called color-blindness.
- Prescription glasses or contact lenses are used to correct this error of refraction. It is also advised that the glasses should be worn all the time in order to provide better results.
- In order to avoid eye strain, it would be better to pursue some rest periods during long hours of reading.
- LASIK surgery is indicated for those who would like to have clearer vision. There is no need for wearing prescription glasses as well as contact lenses. The laser aided machine would reshape the cornea. During the surgery, the corneal tissue is lessened scarped until it is flat. With this flattening, the nearsightedness is reduced.
- Pain relievers are given after the LASIK surgery. They may feel that their eyes are dry, so ophthalmic eye drops are given to supplement moisture on the eyes for a week or two.