Board of Nursing of the Philippines
This is a simple review of knowing the simple information about the people behind the regulations of professional nursing in the Philippines. Knowing their powers makes it easier to understand why we nurses must undergo such training and testing.
1. What are they composed of?
In section 4 of Republic Act 9173, the Board which was created as mandated by section 3 of Article III of the Nursing Act shall be composed of:
- 1 Chairperson
- 6 members
These six (6) members represents three (3) areas of nursing: (1) nursing education, (2) nursing service and (3) community health nursing.
The PRC supervises all the activities of the board like:
- Handling all records of the Board (applications for examinations, administrative and other investigative cases conducted by the Board
- Provision of secretariat of Board, and other support services needed by the Board
2. How are they appointed?
Section 5 of Republic Act 9173 tells about how the Chairperson and six members shall be appointed by the President of the Republic of the Philippines upon the recommendation of the commission.
Some pointers to remember:
- Before the last year of office of the commission, the accredited professional organization of nurses in the Philippines is requested to submit at least three (3) qualified nominees per vacancy.
- Then the commission shall rank the said nominees and submit to the President of the Philippines two (2) nominees per vacancy, not later than two (2) months before the vacancy occurs.
3. What are the criteria in choosing the commissioner and its 6 members?
According to the Law upon appointment they shall be:
- A natural born citizen and resident of the Philippines.
- A member of good standing of the accredited professional organization of nurses.
- A registered nurse and holder of a master’s degree in nursing, education or other allied medical profession conferred by a college or university duly recognized by the government: Provided, that the majority of the Members of the Board shall be holders of a master’s degree in nursing: Provided further, that the Chairperson shall be a holder of a master’s degree in nursing.
- Must have at least ten (10) years of continuous practice of the profession prior to appointment: Provided, however, that the last five (5) years of which shall be in the Philippines.
- Must not have been convicted of any offense involving moral turpitude.
- Membership to the Board shall represent the three areas nursing namely: nursing education, nursing service and community health nursing.
4. If qualifies what shall they do?
- a. Immediately resign from any teaching position in any school, college, university or institution offering bachelor if Science in Nursing and/or review program for the local nursing board examinations;
- b. Immediately resign from any office or employment in the private sector and/in the government or any subdivision, agency or instrumentality thereof, including government –owned and /or controlled corporations or their subsidiaries.
- c. Not have any pecuniary interest in, or administrative supervision over any institution offering Bachelor of Science in Nursing including review classes.
Pecuniary interest refers to involvement of husband/wife, children, brothers/sisters, mother/father in any activity that will conflict with her position in the Board, particularly money matters.
5. How long shall they work?
Their term of office lasts for three (3) years and until their successors have been appointed and qualified.
6. How much are they paid?
They are paid based on the principle of quantum meruit which means “as much as they deserve”
7. Whose responsible in removing or suspending the Board Members?
The President may remove or suspend any members of the Board after having been given the opportunity to defend himself or herself in proper administrative investigation on the following grounds:
- a. continued neglect of duty or incompetence
- b. commission or toleration of irregularities in the licensure examination
- c. unprofessional, immoral or dishonourable conduct.