Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioner (ARNP)
Advance Registered Nurse Practitioners have a rich history. It was formed in 1960’s in order to alleviate the problem of difficulty of health access for children. The first nurse practitioner program as was opened at the University of Colorado. This grew into more than 200 universities offering such program today.
Iowa placed a legal authority among registered nurses that is unique in terms of prescribing drugs. This unique function of registered nurses was made possible through legal authorization. Advanced Registered Nurse Practitioners actually cover four (4) special areas:
- Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetists
- Certified Nurse Midwives
- Certified Nurse Practitioners
- Clinical Nurse Specialists
Alongside with the specialization that they possess are responsibilities that must always be exercised by an advanced registered nurse practitioner. Compared to physician assistants, nurse practitioners can work independently in terms of health maintenance and health promotion. Here are the general activities that they do:
- Promote medical management among patients with mental health problems in collaboration with a physician.
- Make a plan of care for patients
- Collect and organize pertinent data from the patient and through this he or she can diagnose patients using the prescribed taxonomies.
- Document medical histories
- Teach patients and the caregivers about discharge plans as well as home medications
- Channel out resources that can be found in the community
- Perform physical and developmental assessments
- Order and analyze preferred diagnostic and laboratory results
- Counsel about health promotion practices such as nutrition, exercise and lifestyle
- Encourage patients to follow up the prescribed date or procedures to be done as a follow up care after hospital admission
Advanced nurse practitioners have a unique function in terms of prescribing medications; here are some medications that they are allowed to prescribe:
- Antimanic Agents
- Anti-inflammatory Agents
The medications above are just some of the medications listed. More medications can be prescribed by the nurse practitioner depending on the special field he or she is employed.
The advanced nurse practitioners focus their care across the life span, young and old. Their services may cover from well and sick baby care up to well and sick elder care. For instance, certified nurse midwives can actually conduct child delivery and counsel the mothers about proper post-partum care. For Certified Registered Nurse Anaesthetists, they can actually perform minor surgeries. Other major services that they offer are similar to a registered nurse like: family planning and counseling. The type services that an advanced registered nurse practitioner actually depends upon the education and training that they have acquired.
The education provided for nurse practitioners can produce the following special areas:
- Acute Nurse Practitioner
- Psychiatric Health Nurse Practitioner
- Paediatric Nurse Practitioner
- Neonatal Nurse Practitioner
- Geriatric Nurse Practitioner
Initially, in order to be an advanced registered nurse practitioner here is the requirements for application:
- Obtain first an updated license as a registered nurse
- A completion of 12 to 18 month program that leads to a specialization (Anaesthetics, Midwifery, Mental Health Nursing and Clinical Nursing)
- Another option would be taking up a Master’s degree program within 24 months
- Pass the National Certification Examination prescribed according to the area of specialization. The examination is available all year round and can be taken as Sylvan Technology Centres accredited testing centres across the states.
Prescribed fees actually cover the application as well as the examination. Once the candidate has passed the examination, the license is valid for three years after its effectivity. Renewal of the license can be done by accomplishing continuing education composed 24 units. For licenses that are good for six years, a 36-unit continuing education is required for renewal.
Upon passing the licensure examination, an advanced nurse practitioner can actually work in collaboration with a physician or independently. A physician is still needed in the background in terms of general supervision in the diagnosis and treatment of medical cases. They also accept the referrals that advanced registered nurse practitioners make. Aside from that, physicians are there in times of giving advice to whom the patient will be referred when the physician on duty is not available or someone to cover the patients.
Nurse practitioners can actually work in rural and urban setting. From clinics in the community to travelling across the states, they work privately and independently. The demand of being a nurse practitioner can be very challenging but rewarding at the end of the day. The average rate of a nurse practitioner can actually range from $80,000 to $100,000 yearly.
Photo Credits: buzzle.com