What Causes Migraine Headaches
- Stimulation of the nerves in the brain
- Inflammation and swelling of blood vessels situated at the surface of the brain
- Alterations in the method the brain processes pain
People suffering from this condition should try to prevent the episode from happening. This is the best option for these people to take although prevention may not always be successful. But there are several ways to reduce the severity and frequency of the condition. A lifestyle change is absolutely important to these individuals. A regular eating, rest and sleep schedules is also helpful to keeping the condition away. Regular exercise schedule is essential too. To avoid migraine headaches, check out the following tips:
- Steer clear from migraine headache triggers. When a person identifies the trigger to his or her migraine episode the condition can easily be avoided. The range of things that stimulate migraine headache is quite broad. To specifically identify them, the category is divided into two namely, food/beverage and environmental/lifestyle triggers.
Food and beverages that stimulates the condition:
- Aged cheese
- Alcoholic beverages, especially red wine
- Marinated or fermented foods
- Dairy products that are cultured
- Seasoned salt
- Pea pods
- Citrus fruits
- Yeast in doughnuts and breads
- Peanut butter and nuts
Environmental or Lifestyle Triggers to Migraine Headache
- Chemical smells
- Bright lights from fluorescent tubes
- Smoke of cigarette and/or tobacco
- Strenuous physical activity especially the sexually-related ones
- Loud noises
- Strong odors
- Sleeping difficulties or troubles
- Missed meals
- Weather or altitude change
- Hormonal changes
It is important to understand that the item/s that triggers one person may not be the same trigger to the other. Not all of these things may cause the headache episode, only a few will be present to a client. Hence, proper identification of items that trigger the migraine attack is the key to successfully preventing it.
- Have a regular exercise schedule. Tension is a common stimulus to migraines. When a person is involved in a regular exercise activity, the tension decreases so as the headache. However, it is important not to engage in strenuous exercises as it may also cause the condition.
- Relax, relax, relax. Stress aggravates if not causes migraines. Hence, a person should keep the stress away by performing relaxation techniques such as biofeedback and meditation.
- Quit smoking and get rid of caffeine. These items cause or aggravate the condition. Hence, clearing the body from these chemicals would get rid of the pain causing health condition.
Image courtesy of healthylifesolutions.info