Causes of Hair Loss

Hair is one of the essential things a person wants to have. It is important for temperature regulation, physical protection, sensory activity, seasonal camouflage, and social interactions. Many people are spending a lot of money just to make their hair look great, as a gorgeous hair enhances ones beauty.

Men and women as they age verbalize problems on hair fall or worst hair loss. Sometimes even young adults complain about hair loss too. Nowadays, companies manufacturing shampoos that prevents hair fall are actually gaining much because of this rampant problem among the population. Whilst hair loss has loads of reasons why it occured, let us first understand the normal hair growth cycle.

Normal hair growth cycle

The hair is formed in hair follicles, which are complex mini-organs in the skin that are specialized for this purpose. All hair follicles are formed during fetal development. Then new hair is generated in the hair follicle by continually undergoing phases of recession, rest, and growth throughout life.

Shedding some hair each day is normal for this cycle. I’ve read in an article that some experts estimate that we may shed up to 100 or more hairs daily. This measure of hair fall should not cause panic to the individual because approximately 90% of the 100,000 hair follicles present are growing any time soon. The other 10% are in a resting phase, known as the telogen, and the hair then falls out after 2-3 months. It is replaced by a new hair and the growth cycle starts again.

Causes of Hair Loss

  • Illness or surgery. Hair loss is related to the stress of the illness and is temporary.
  • Hormonal problems. Hair loss may occur if male or female hormone levels are imbalance.
  • After delivery of a baby (about 3 months). Hair loss in this case is related to hormonal changes. During pregnancy, high levels of certain hormones prevent the hair from falling. After delivery of the baby, the hormones return to their pre-pregnancy levels. As a result, the hair falls out.
  • Medicine use. Some medications can cause hair loss as a side effect. These drugs are the following: Coumadin (warfarin), Lopid (gemfibrozil), antidepressants, beta-blockers, NSAIDs, drugs for gout, arthritis, birth control and hypertension. In most cases, hair grows back when the medication is stopped. However some drugs can cause permanent hair loss or trigger male and female hair loss pattern.
  • Crash diets and severe stress. These conditions can push hair into its resting, or telogen, state that results to hair falling out at about 2 months.
  • Certain infections (fungal infections of the scalp)
  • Underlying disease condition

image courtesy of lipglossandleopardprint.blogspot.com

Daisy Jane Antipuesto RN MN

Currently a Nursing Local Board Examination Reviewer. Subjects handled are Pediatric, Obstetric and Psychiatric Nursing. Previous work experiences include: Clinical instructor/lecturer, clinical coordinator (Level II), caregiver instructor/lecturer, NC2 examination reviewer and staff/clinic nurse. Areas of specialization: Emergency room, Orthopedic Ward and Delivery Room. Also an IELTS passer.

What Do You Think?