Classifications: central nervous system (cns) agent; analgesic; narcotic (opiate) agonist
Prototype: Morphine sulfate
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Assess for level of pain relief and administer prn dose as needed but not to exceed the recommended total daily dose.
- Monitor vital signs and assess for orthostatic hypotension or signs of CNS depression.
- Discontinue drug and notify physician if S&S of hypersensitivity occur.
- Assess bowel and bladder function; report urinary frequency or retention.
- Use seizure precautions for patients who have a history of seizures or who are concurrently using drugs that lower the seizure threshold.
- Monitor ambulation and take appropriate safety precautions.
Patient & Family Education
- Exercise caution with potentially hazardous activities until response to drug is known.
- Understand potential adverse effects and report problems with bowel and bladder function, CNS impairment, and any other bothersome adverse effects to physician.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.