Classifications: antiinfective; beta-lactam antibiotic; antipseudomonal penicillin
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Obtain history of hypersensitivity to penicillins, cephalosporins, or other drugs prior to administration.
- Lab tests: C&S prior to first dose of the drug; start drug pending results. Periodic CBC with differential, platelet count, Hgb and Hct, and serum electrolytes.
- Monitor for hypersensitivity response; discontinue drug and notify physician if allergic response noted.
- Lab tests: Periodic CBC with differential, platelet count, Hgb and Hct, and serum electrolytes.
- Monitor for hemorrhagic manifestations because high doses may induce coagulation abnormalities.
Patient & Family Education
- Report significant, unexplained diarrhea.
- Withhold drug and report to physician if signs of an allergic reaction develop (e.g., itching, rash, hives).
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.