Classifications: antiinfective; antibiotic; quinolone
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor therapeutic effectiveness indicated by clinical improvement of infection.
- Monitor for and notify physician immediately of adverse CNS effects.
- Notify physician immediately for S&S of hypersensitivity (see Appendix F).
- Lab tests: C&S before initiation of therapy and baseline serum potassium with history of hypokalemia.
Patient & Family Education
- Exercise care in timing of consumption of vitamins and antacids (see ADMINISTRATION).
- Drink fluids liberally, unless directed otherwise.
- Increased seizure potential is possible, especially when history of seizure exists.
- Stop taking drug and notify physician if experiencing palpitations, fainting, skin rash, severe diarrhea, ankle/foot pain, agitation, insomnia.
- Avoid engaging in hazardous activities until reaction to drug is known.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.