Fortamet, Glucophage, Glucophage XR, Riomet
Classifications: hormones & synthetic substitutes; antidiabetic agent; biguanides
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Lab tests: Obtain baseline and periodic kidney and liver function tests; drug contraindicated in the presence of renal or hepatic insufficiency. Monitor blood glucose and HbA1C, and lipid profile periodically.
- Monitor known or suspected alcoholics carefully for decreased liver function.
- Monitor cardiopulmonary status throughout course of therapy; cardiopulmonary insufficiency may predispose to lactic acidosis.
Patient & Family Education
- Be aware that hypoglycemia is not a risk when drug is taken in recommended therapeutic doses unless combined with other drugs which lower blood glucose.
- Report to physician immediately S&S of infection, which increase the risk of lactic acidosis (e.g., abdominal pains, nausea, and vomiting, anorexia).
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.