Classifications: antiinfective; carbapenem antibiotic
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Lab tests: Perform C&S tests prior to therapy. Monitor periodically liver and kidney function.
- Determine history of hypersensitivity reactions to other beta-lactams, cephalosporins, penicillins, or other drugs.
- Discontinue drug and immediately report S&S of hypersensitivity (see Appendix F).
- Report S&S of superinfection or pseudomembranous colitis (see Appendix F).
- Monitor for seizures especially in older adults and those with renal insufficiency.
Patient & Family Education
- Learn S&S of hypersensitivity, superinfection, and pseudomembranous colitis; report any of these to physician promptly.
- Do not breast feed while using this drug.