Classifications: central nervous system agent; analgesic; nsaid; antipyretic
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Assess patients who develop severe diarrhea and vomiting for dehydration and electrolyte imbalance.
- Lab tests: With long-term therapy (not recommended) obtain periodic complete blood counts, Hct and Hgb, and kidney function tests.
Patient & Family Education
- Discontinue drug promptly if diarrhea, dark stools, hematemesis, ecchymoses, epistaxis, or rash occur and do not use again. Contact physician.
- Notify physician if persistent GI discomfort, sore throat, fever, or malaise occur.
- Do not drive or engage in potentially hazardous activities until response to drug is known. It may cause dizziness and drowsiness.
- Monitor blood glucose for loss of glycemic control if diabetic.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.