Levaquin, Iquix, Quixin
Classifications: antiinfective; antibiotic; quinolone
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Lab tests: Do C&S test prior to beginning therapy and periodically.
- Withhold therapy and report to physician immediately any of the following: Skin rash or other signs of a hypersensitivity reaction (see Appendix F); CNS symptoms such as seizures, restlessness, confusion, hallucinations, depression; skin eruption following sun exposure; symptoms of colitis such as persistent diarrhea; joint pain, inflammation, or rupture of a tendon; hypoglycemic reaction in diabetic on an oral hypoglycemic agent.
Patient & Family Education
- Learn important indications for discontinuing drug and immediately notifying physician.
- Consume fluids liberally while taking levofloxacin.
- Allow a minimum of 2 h between drug dosage and taking any of the following: Aluminum or magnesium antacids, iron supplements, multivitamins with zinc, or sucralfate.
- Avoid exposure to excess sunlight or artificial UV light.
- Avoid NSAIDs while taking levofloxacin, if possible.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.