Coronex , Dilatrate-SR, Iso-Bid, Isordil, Isotrate, Novosorbide , Sorbitrate, Sorbitrate SA
Classifications: cardiovascular agent; nitrate vasodilator
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor effectiveness of drug in relieving angina.
- Note: Headaches tend to decrease in intensity and frequency with continued therapy but may require administration of analgesic and reduction in dosage.
- Note: Chronic administration of large doses may produce tolerance and thus decrease effectiveness of nitrate preparations.
Patient & Family Education
- Make position changes slowly, particularly from recumbent to upright posture, and dangle feet and ankles before walking.
- Lie down at the first indication of light-headedness or faintness.
- Keep a record of anginal attacks and the number of sublingual tablets required to provide relief.
- Do not drink alcohol because it may increase possibility of light-headedness and faintness.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.