Classifications: gastrointestinal agent; proton pump inhibitor
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for S&S of adverse CNS effects (vertigo, agitation, depression) especially in severely ill patients.
- Monitor phenytoin levels with concurrent use.
- Monitor INR/PT with concurrent warfarin use.
- Lab tests: Periodic liver function tests, CBC, Hct & Hbg, urinalysis for hematuria and proteinuria.
Patient & Family Education
- Report any changes in urinary elimination such as pain or discomfort associated with urination to physician.
- Report severe diarrhea. Drug may need to be discontinued.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.