Classifications: blood formers, coagulators, and anticoagulants; low molecular weight heparin
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Lab tests: Baseline coagulation studies; periodic CBC, platelet count, urine and stool for occult blood.
- Monitor platelet count closely. Withhold drug and notify physician if platelet count less than 100,000/mm3.
- Monitor closely patients with renal insufficiency and older adults who are at higher risk for thrombocytopenia.
- Monitor for and report immediately any sign or symptom of unexplained bleeding.
Patient & Family Education
- Report to physician promptly signs of unexplained bleeding such as: pink, red, or dark brown urine; red or dark brown vomitus; bleeding gums or bloody sputum; dark, tarry stools.
- Do not take any OTC drugs without first consulting physician.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.