Cardizem, Cardizem CD, Cardizem LA, Cardizem SR, Cardizem Lyo-Ject, Cartia XT, Dilacor XR, Tiamate, Tiazac, Taztia XT
Classifications: cardiovascular agent; calcium channel blocking agent; antihypertensive
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Check BP and ECG before initiation of therapy and monitor particularly during dosage adjustment period.
- Lab tests: Do baseline and periodic liver and renal function tests.
- Monitor for and report S&S of CHF.
- Monitor for headache. An analgesic may be required.
- Supervise ambulation as indicated.
Patient & Family Education
- Make position changes slowly and in stages; light-headedness and dizziness (hypotension) are possible.
- Do not drive or engage in other potentially hazardous activities until reaction to drug is known.
- Keep follow-up appointments and physician informed.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.