Apo-Cloxi , Cloxapen, Cloxilean, Novocloxin , Orbenin, Tegopen
Classifications: antiinfective; antibiotic, natural penicillin; beta-lactam
Prototype: Penicillin G
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Determine previous exposure and sensitivity to penicillins and cephalosporins and other allergic reactions of any kind before treatment is initiated.
- Monitor for S&S of anaphylactoid reaction (see Appendix G) or other signs or symptoms of hypersensitivity reaction (see Appendix F) as with other penicillins.
- Lab tests: Periodic assessments of renal, hepatic, and hematopoietic function are advised in patients on long-term therapy.
Patient & Family Education
- Take medication around the clock, do not miss a dose, and continue taking the medication until it is finished.
- Report to physician the onset of hypersensitivity reaction (see Appendix F) and superinfections.
- Check with physician if GI adverse effects (nausea, vomiting, diarrhea) appear.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.