CHECKLIST FOR HAIR CARE AND BED SHAMPOO
- Explain the procedure to the patient.
- Move the patient’s head to the bed, face away from the nurse in a diagonal position.
- Place the towel under the patient’s head; loosen the hair and part tat the middle.
- Brush hair thoroughly and apply oil or Vaseline for matted hair. For long hair part at the middle and braid.
- Clean everything and disinfect the brush and comb.
- Explain the procedure to the patient, prepare equipment and take to the bedside.
- Screen the bed. Loosen the patient’s gown.
- Replace the top sheet with a bath blanket. Fold the top sheet down to the middle of the bed and cover chest with a bath towel.
- Remove pillow and bring the patient to the edge of the bed or in a diagonal position.
- Protect one pillow with rubber protector and cover with a bath towel and place under the patient’s shoulder. Arrange Kelly pad under the shoulder.
- Comb hair, cover eyes with folder face towel, and plug ears with cotton balls.
- Wet hair lukewarm water, shampoo and massage with your fingers.
- Rinse the hair, repeat until hair is clean. Squeeze water from hair.
- Remove face towel from eyes and cotton balls from ears.
- Drop the Kelly pad to the pail, cover hair with the bath towel.
- Bring the patient to the normal position; the rubber protector is still in place, covering the pillow while hair is dry.
- Comb hair, fasten the gown and leave the patient comfortably and do the after care of the equipment.