ADMINISTERING OXYGEN BY MASK
1. Explain procedure to patient and review safety precautions necessary when oxygen is in use. Place No Smoking signs in appropriate areas.
2. Perform hand hygiene.
3. Attach face mask to oxygen setup with humidification. Start flow of oxygen to fill bag before placing mask over patient’s nose and mouth.
4. Position face mask over patient’s nose and mouth. Adjust it with the elastic strap so mask fits snugly but comfortable on face.
5. Use gauze pads to reduce irrigation on patient’s ears and scalp.
6. Perform hand hygiene.
7. Remove mask and dry skin every 2 to 3 hours if oxygen is running continuously. Do not powder around mask.
8. Assess and chart patient’s response to therapy.