PRINCIPLES OF ASEPTIC TECHNIQUE
- Only sterile items are used within sterile field.
- Sterile objects become unsterile when touched by unsterile objects.
- Sterile items that are out of vision or below the waist level of the nurse are considered unsterile.
- Sterile objects can become unsterile by prolong exposure to airborne microorganisms.
- Fluids flow in the direction of gravity.
- Moisture that passes through a sterile object draws microorganism from unsterile surfaces above or below to the surface by capillary reaction.
- The edges of a sterile field are considered unsterile.
- The skin cannot be sterilized and is unsterile.
- Conscientiousness, alertness and honesty are essential qualities in maintaining surgical asepsis
What Do You Think?
You may also like...