Carmencita M. Abaquin
- Carmencita M. Abaquin is a nurse with Master’s Degree in Nursing obtained from the University of the Philippines College of Nursing.
- An expert in Medical Surgical Nursing with subspecialty in Oncologic Nursing, which made her known both here and abroad.
- She had served the University of the Philippines College of Nursing, as faculty and held the position as Secretary of the College of Nursing.
- Her latest appointment as Chairman of the Board of Nursing speaks of her competence and integrity in the field she has chosen.
About her Theory:
“PREPARE ME” Interventions and the Quality of Life Advance Progressive Cancer Patients.
Basic Assumptions and Concepts:
PREPARE ME (Holistic Nursing Interventions) are the nursing interventions provided to address the multi-dimensional problems of cancer patients that can be given in any setting where patients choose to be confined. This program emphasizes a holistic approach to nursing care. PREPARE ME has the following components:
- Presence – being with another person during the times of need. This includes therapeutic communication, active listening, and touch.
- Reminisce Therapy – recall of past experiences, feelings and thoughts to facilitate adaptation to present circumstances.
- Relaxation-Breathing – techniques to encourage and elicit relaxation for the purpose of decreasing undesirable signs and symptoms such as pain, muscle tension, and anxiety.
- Meditation – encourages an elicit form of relaxation for the purpose of altering patient’s level of awareness by focusing on an image or thought to facilitate inner sight which helps establish connection and relationship with God. It may be done through the use of music and other relaxation techniques.
- Values Clarification – assisting another individual to clarify his own values about health and illness in order to facilitate effective decision making skills. Through this, the patient develops an open mind that will facilitate acceptance of disease state or may help deepen or enhance values. The process of values clarification helps one become internally consistent by achieving closer between what we do and what we feel.
*To learn more about Carmencita Abaquin’s theory, conceptual model and other Filipino nursing theorists, get a copy of the book entitled “Theoretical Foundations of Nursing: The Philippine Perspective” by: Dr. Eufemia Octaviano and Dr. Carl Balita.