February 2, 2012 · Leave a Comment
Nursing as a profession evolves as time goes by. There is a necessity for these professionals to upgrade their knowledge as well as specialize in a certain field. In order to get organized, the trending goes with the systems approach of intervention. People who have problems with the urinary system can be taken care of nurse who specialize in urology nursing. It is a special area wherein nurses study intensively the urinary system of males and females provide an approach that is suited for each patient as well as focus on the preventive care.
Activities of a urology nurse:
- Obtain a physical assessment on patients with complaints on their urinary system
- Order diagnostic examinations such as X-rays, urinalysis or gram-stain of urine
- Perform diagnostic procedures
- Interpret the results of diagnostic procedures
- Provide proper referral for further medical treatment
- Evaluates bladder dysfunction
- Provide proper treatment for all urinary malfunctions
- Prescribing medications intended for the urinary system problems
- Provide health teaching regarding compliance on medications as well as treatment prescribed
- Collaboration with physicians in terms of check-up and follow up of patients
- Screening and evaluation of the response from the treatment
- Care on the integrity of urinary catheter
- Perform urinary catheterizations
- Teaching about proper nutrition
- Giving emphasis on Kegel’s exercise as an important exercise to strengthen the pelvic floor thereby reducing problems in the future such urinary incontinence
Some examples of the urinary problems that urology nurses solve:
- Urinary tract infection
- Renal problems (such as pyelonephritis, cystitis or urethritis
- Urinary incontinence
- Urinary dysfunction secondary to nerve damage or side effects
- Conn’s syndrome
The last two examples of problems were actually special since it has been focused on urology nursing. Prostatitis for instance happens when urine back flows into the prostate. The urine will infect the prostate causing acute or chronic states of prostatitis. Conn’s syndrome on the other hand involves a manifestation of hypertension among patients due to the increased levels of hormones called aldosterone. All of these urinary tract problems are being treated by urology nurses.
Possible workplace of urology nurses:
- Renal clinics
- Hospitals shouldering Urology department
- Community setting
In order for a nurse to become an effective urology nurse, he or she must first be a bachelor’s degree holder in nursing. After finishing this degree, he or she must also be a registered nurse and expose to basic nursing care as part of the clinical experience. A Master’s degree in Nursing is also important in order to be able to apply principles of management and administration on the clinical setting.
A competent urology nurse is well equipped with skills in urinary catheterization, physical assessment, self-care education, counselling regarding coping with sexual dysfunction accompanies by problems with the urinary tract.