1. A woman in a child bearing age receives a rubella vaccination. Nurse Joy would give her which of the following instructions?
a. Refrain from eating eggs or egg products for 24 hours
b. Avoid having sexual intercourse
c. Don’t get pregnant at least 3 months
d. Avoid exposure to sun
2. Jonas who is diagnosed with encephalitis is under the treatment of Mannitol. Which of the following patient outcomes indicate to Nurse Ronald that the treatment of Mannitol has been effective for a patient that has increased intracranial pressure?
a. Increased urinary output
b. Decreased RR
c. Slowed papillary response
d. Decreased level of consciousness
3. Mary asked Nurse Maureen about the incubation period of rabies. Which statement by the Nurse Maureen is appropriate?
a. Incubation period is 6 months
b. Incubation period is 1 week
c. Incubation period is 1 month
d. Incubation period varies depending on the site of the bite
4. Which of the following should Nurse Cherry do first in taking care of a male client with rabies?
a. Encourage the patient to take a bath
b. Cover IV bottle with brown paper bag
c. Place the patient near the comfort room
d. Place the patient near the door
5. Which of the following is the screening test for dengue hemorrhagic fever?
a. Complete blood count
c. Rumpel-leede test
d. Sedimentation rate
6. Mr. Dela Rosa is suspected to have malaria after a business trip in Palawan. The most important diagnostic test in malaria is:
a. WBC count
d. Peripheral blood smear
7. The Nurse supervisor is planning for patient’s assignment for the AM shift. The nurse supervisor avoids assigning which of the following staff members to a client with herpes zoster?
a. Nurse who never had chicken pox
b. Nurse who never had roseola
c. Nurse who never had german measles
d. Nurse who never had mumps
8. Clarissa is 7 weeks pregnant. Further examination revealed that she is susceptible to rubella. When would be the most appropriate for her to receive rubella immunization?
a. At once
b. During 2nd trimester
c. During 3rd trimester
d. After the delivery of the baby
9. A female child with rubella should be isolated from a:
a. 21 year old male cousin living in the same house
b. 18 year old sister who recently got married
c. 11 year old sister who had rubeola during childhood
d. 4 year old girl who lives next door
10. What is the primary prevention of leprosy?
c. BCG vaccination
d. DPT vaccination
11. A bacteria which causes diphtheria is also known as?
c. Klebs-loeffler bacillus
12. Nurse Ron performed mantoux skin test today (Monday) to a male adult client. Which statement by the client indicates that he understood the instruction well?
a. I will come back later
b. I will come back next month
c. I will come back on Friday
d. I will come back on Wednesday, same time, to read the result
13. A male client had undergone Mantoux skin test. Nurse Ronald notes an 8mm area of indurations at the site of the skin test. The nurse interprets the result as:
b. Uncertain and needs to be repeated
14. Tony will start a 6 month therapy with Isoniazid (INH). Nurse Trish plans to teach the client to:
a. Use alcohol moderately
b. Avoid vitamin supplements while o therapy
c. Incomplete intake of dairy products
d. May be discontinued if symptoms subsides
15. Which is the primary characteristic lesion of syphilis?
a. Sore eyes
b. Sore throat
16. What is the fast breathing of Jana who is 3 weeks old?
a. 60 breaths per minute
b. 40 breaths per minute
c. 10 breaths per minute
d. 20 breaths per minute
17. Which of the following signs and symptoms indicate some dehydration?
a. Drinks eagerly
b. Restless and irritable
d. A and B
18. What is the first line for dysentery?
19. In home made oresol, what is the ratio of salt and sugar if you want to prepare with 1 liter of water?
a. 1 tbsp. salt and 8 tbsp. sugar
b. 1 tbsp. salt and 8 tsp. sugar
c. 1 tsp. salt and 8 tsp. sugar
d. 8 tsp. salt and 8 tsp. sugar
20. Gentian Violet is used for:
b. Umbilical infections
c. Ear infections
21. Which of the following is a live attenuated bacterial vaccine?
d. None of the above
22. EPI is based on?
a. Basic health services
b. Scope of community affected
c. Epidemiological situation
d. Research studies
23. TT? provides how many percentage of protection against tetanus?
24. Temperature of refrigerator to maintain potency of measles and OPV vaccine is:
a. -3c to -8c
b. -15c to -25c
c. +15c to +25c
d. +3c to +8c
25. Diptheria is a:
a. Bacterial toxin
b. Killed bacteria
c. Live attenuated
d. Plasma derivatives
26. Budgeting is under in which part of management process?
27. Time table showing planned work days and shifts of nursing personnel is:
28. A force within an individual that influences the strength of behavior?
29. “To be the leading hospital in the Philippines” is best illustrate in:
30. It is the professionally desired norms against which a staff performance will be compared?
a. Job descriptions
c. Flow chart
31. Reprimanding a staff nurse for work that is done incorrectly is an example of what type of reinforcement?
b. Positive reinforcement
c. Performance appraisal
d. Negative reinforcement
32. Questions that are answerable only by choosing an option from a set of given alternatives are known as?
b. Close ended
33. A researcher that makes a generalization based on observations of an individuals behavior is said to be which type of reasoning:
34. The balance of a research’s benefit vs. its risks to the subject is:
b. Risk-benefit ratio
d. Maximum risk
35. An individual/object that belongs to a general population is a/an:
36. An illustration that shows how the members of an organization are connected:
b. Bar graph
c. Organizational chart
d. Line graph
37. The first college of nursing that was established in the Philippines is:
a. Fatima University
b. Far Eastern University
c. University of the East
d. University of Sto. Tomas
38. Florence nightingale is born on:
39. Objective data is also called:
40. An example of subjective data is:
a. Size of wounds
d. The statement of patient “My hand is painful”
41. What is the best position in palpating the breast?
b. Side lying
42. When is the best time in performing breast self examination?
a. 7 days after menstrual period
b. 7 days before menstrual period
c. 5 days after menstrual period
d. 5 days before menstrual period
43. Which of the following should be given the highest priority before performing physical examination to a patient?
a. Preparation of the room
b. Preparation of the patient
c. Preparation of the nurse
d. Preparation of environment
44. It is a flip over card usually kept in portable file at nursing station.
a. Nursing care plan
b. Medicine and treatment record
d. TPR sheet
45. Jose has undergone thoracentesis. The nurse in charge is aware that the best position for Jose is:
a. Semi fowlers
b. Low fowlers
c. Side lying, unaffected side
d. Side lying, affected side
46. The degree of patients abdominal distension may be determined by:
47. A male client is addicted with hallucinogen. Which physiologic effect should the nurse expect?
c. Constricted pupils
d. Dilated pupils
48. Tristan a 4 year old boy has suffered from full thickness burns of the face, chest and neck. What will be the priority nursing diagnosis?
a. Ineffective airway clearance related to edema
b. Impaired mobility related to pain
c. Impaired urinary elimination related to fluid loss
d. Risk for infection related to epidermal disruption
49. In assessing a client’s incision 1 day after the surgery, Nurse Betty expect to see which of the following as signs of a local inflammatory response?
a. Greenish discharge
b. Brown exudates at incision edges
c. Pallor around sutures
d. Redness and warmth
50. Nurse Ronald is aware that the amiotic fluid in the third trimester weighs approximately:
a. 2 kilograms
b. 1 kilograms
c. 100 grams
d. 1.5 kilograms
51. After delivery of a baby girl. Nurse Gina examines the umbilical cord and expects to find a cord to:
a. Two arteries and two veins
b. One artery and one vein
c. Two arteries and one vein
d. One artery and two veins
52. Myrna a pregnant client reports that her last menstrual cycle is July 11, her expected date of birth is
a. November 4
b. November 11
c. April 4
d. April 18
53. Which of the following is not a good source of iron?
54. Maureen is admitted with a diagnosis of ectopic pregnancy. Which of the following would you anticipate?
b. Bed rest
c. Immediate surgery
55. Gina a postpartum client is diagnosed with endometritis. Which position would you expect to place her based on this diagnosis?
b. Left side lying
56. Nurse Hazel knows that Myrna understands her condition well when she remarks that urinary frequency is caused by:
a. Pressure caused by the ascending uterus
b. Water intake of 3L a day
c. Effect of cold weather
d. Increase intake of fruits and vegetables
57. How many ml of blood is loss during the first 24 hours post delivery of Myrna?
58. Which of the following hormones stimulates the secretion of milk?
59. Nurse Carla is aware that Myla’s second stage of labor is beginning when the following assessment is noted:
a. Bay of water is broken
b. Contractions are regular
c. Cervix is completely dilated
d. Presence of bloody show
60. The leaking fluid is tested with nitrazine paper. Nurse Kelly confirms that the client’s membrane have ruptures when the paper turns into a:
61. After amniotomy, the priority nursing action is:
a. Document the color and consistency of amniotic fluid
b. Listen the fetal heart tone
c. Position the mother in her left side
d. Let the mother rest
62. Which is the most frequent reason for postpartum hemorrhage?
a. Perineal lacerations
b. Frequent internal examination (IE)
d. Uterine atomy
63. On 2nd postpartum day, which height would you expect to find the fundus in a woman who has had a caesarian birth?
a. 1 finger above umbilicus
b. 2 fingers above umbilicus
c. 2 fingers below umbilicus
d. 1 finger below umbilicus
64. Which of the following criteria allows Nurse Kris to perform home deliveries?
a. Normal findings during assessment
b. Previous CS
c. Diabetes history
d. Hypertensive history
65. Nurse Carla is aware that one of the following vaccines is done by intramuscular (IM) injection?
d. Tetanus toxoid
66. Asin law is on which legal basis:
a. RA 8860
b. RA 2777
c. RI 8172
d. RR 6610
67. Nurse John is aware that the herbal medicine appropriate for urolithiasis is:
c. Tsaang gubat
68. Community/Public health bag is defined as:
a. An essential and indispensable equipment of the community health nurse during home visit
b. It contains drugs and equipment used by the community health nurse
c. Is a requirement in the health center and for home visit
d. It is a tool used by the community health nurse in rendering effective procedures during home visit
69. TT4 provides how many percentage of protection against tetanus?
70. Third postpartum visit must be done by public health nurse:
a. Within 24 hours after delivery
b. After 2-4 weeks
c. Within 1 week
d. After 2 months
71. Nurse Candy is aware that the family planning method that may give 98% protection to another pregnancy to women
b. Tubal ligation
c. Lactational Amenorrhea method (LAM)
72. Which of the following is not a part of IMCI case management process
a. Counsel the mother
b. Identify the illness
c. Assess the child
d. Treat the child
73. If a young child has pneumonia when should the mother bring him back for follow up?
a. After 2 days
b. In the afternoon
c. After 4 days
d. After 5 days
74. It is the certification recognition program that develop and promotes standard for health facilities:
b. Tutok gamutan
c. Sentrong program movement
d. Sentrong sigla movement
75. Baby Marie was born May 23, 1984. Nurse John will expect finger thumb opposition on:
a. April 1985
b. February 1985
c. March 1985
d. June 1985
76. Baby Reese is a 12 month old child. Nurse Oliver would anticipate how many teeth?
77. Which of the following is the primary antidote for Tylenol poisoning?
78. A male child has an intelligence quotient of approximately 40. Which kind of environment and interdisciplinary program most likely to benefit this child would be best described as:
a. Habit training
b. Sheltered workshop
79. Nurse Judy is aware that following condition would reflect presence of congenital G.I anomaly?
a. Cord prolapse
c. Placenta previa
80. Nurse Christine provides health teaching for the parents of a child diagnosed with celiac disease. Nurse Christine teaches the parents to include which of the following food items in the child’s diet:
a. Rye toast
c. White bread
81. Nurse Randy is planning to administer oral medication to a 3 year old child. Nurse Randy is aware that the best way to proceed is by:
a. “Would you like to drink your medicine?”
b. “If you take your medicine now, I’ll give you lollipop”
c. “See the other boy took his medicine? Now it’s your turn.”
d. “Here’s your medicine. Would you like a mango or orange juice?”
82. At what age a child can brush her teeth without help?
a. 6 years
b. 7 years
c. 5 years
d. 8 years
83. Ribivarin (Virazole) is prescribed for a female hospitalized child with RSV. Nurse Judy prepare this medication via which route?
a. Intra venous
c. Oxygen tent
84. The present chairman of the Board of Nursing in the Philippines is:
a. Maria Joanna Cervantes
b. Carmencita Abaquin
c. Leonor Rosero
d. Primitiva Paquic
85. The obligation to maintain efficient ethical standards in the practice of nursing belong to this body:
86. A male nurse was found guilty of negligence. His license was revoked. Re-issuance of revoked certificates is after how many years?
a. 1 year
b. 2 years
c. 3 years
d. 4 years
87. Which of the following information cannot be seen in the PRC identification card?
a. Registration Date
b. License Number
c. Date of Application
d. Signature of PRC chairperson
88. Breastfeeding is being enforced by milk code or:
a. EO 51
b. R.A. 7600
c. R.A. 6700
d. P.D. 996
89. Self governance, ability to choose or carry out decision without undue pressure or coercion from anyone:
90. A male patient complained because his scheduled surgery was cancelled because of earthquake. The hospital personnel may be excused because of:
b. Respondent superior
c. Force majeure
d. Res ipsa loquitor
91. Being on time, meeting deadlines and completing all scheduled duties is what virtue?
92. This quality is being demonstrated by Nurse Ron who raises the side rails of a confused and disoriented patient?
93. Which of the following is formal continuing education?
b. Enrollment in graduate school
c. Refresher course
94. The BSN curriculum prepares the graduates to become?
a. Nurse generalist
b. Nurse specialist
c. Primary health nurse
d. Clinical instructor
95. Disposal of medical records in government hospital/institutions must be done in close coordination with what agency?
a. Department of Health
b. Records Management Archives Office
c. Metro Manila Development Authority
d. Bureau of Internal Revenue
96. Nurse Jolina must see to it that the written consent of mentally ill patients must be taken from:
c. Family lawyer
d. Parents/legal guardians
97. When Nurse Clarence respects the client’s self-disclosure, this is a gauge for the nurses’
98. The Nurse is aware that the following tasks can be safely delegated by the nurse to a non-nurse health worker except:
a. Taking vital signs
b. Change IV infusions
c. Transferring the client from bed to chair
d. Irrigation of NGT
99. During the evening round Nurse Tina saw Mr. Toralba meditating and afterwards started singing prayerful hymns. What would be the best response of Nurse Tina?
a. Call the attention of the client and encourage to sleep
b. Report the incidence to head nurse
c. Respect the client’s action
d. Document the situation
100. In caring for a dying client, you should perform which of the following activities
a. Do not resuscitate
b. Assist client to perform ADL
c. Encourage to exercise
d. Assist client towards a peaceful death
101. The Nurse is aware that the ability to enter into the life of another person and perceive his current feelings and their meaning is known:
102. The termination phase of the NPR is best described one of the following:
a. Review progress of therapy and attainment of goals
b. Exploring the client’s thoughts, feelings and concerns
c. Identifying and solving patients problem
d. Establishing rapport
103. During the process of cocaine withdrawal, the physician orders which of the following:
a. Haloperidol (Haldol)
b. Imipramine (Tofranil)
c. Benztropine (Cogentin)
d. Diazepam (Valium)
104. The nurse is aware that cocaine is classified as:
b. Psycho stimulant
105. In community health nursing, it is the most important risk factor in the development of mental illness?
a. Separation of parents
b. Political problems
d. Sexual abuse
106. All of the following are characteristics of crisis except
a. The client may become resistive and active in stopping the crisis
b. It is self-limiting for 4-6 weeks
c. It is unique in every individual
d. It may also affect the family of the client
107. Freud states that temper tantrums is observed in which of the following:
108. The nurse is aware that ego development begins during:
a. Toddler period
b. Preschool age
c. School age
109. Situation: A 19 year old nursing student has lost 36 lbs for 4 weeks. Her parents brought her to the hospital for medical evaluation. The diagnosis was ANOREXIA NERVOSA. The Primary gain of a client with anorexia nervosa is:
a. Weight loss
b. Weight gain
c. Reduce anxiety
d. Attractive appearance
110. The nurse is aware that the primary nursing diagnosis for the client is:
a. Altered nutrition : less than body requirement
b. Altered nutrition : more than body requirement
c. Impaired tissue integrity
d. Risk for malnutrition
111. After 14 days in the hospital, which finding indicates that her condition in improving?
a. She tells the nurse that she had no idea that she is thin
b. She arrives earlier than scheduled time of group therapy
c. She tells the nurse that she eat 3 times or more in a day
d. She gained 4 lbs in two weeks
112. The nurse is aware that ataractics or psychic energizers are also known as:
a. Anti manic
b. Anti depressants
d. Anti anxiety
113. Known as mood elevators:
a. Anti depressants
c. Anti manic
d. Anti anxiety
114. The priority of care for a client with Alzheimer’s disease is
a. Help client develop coping mechanism
b. Encourage to learn new hobbies and interest
c. Provide him stimulating environment
d. Simplify the environment to eliminate the need to make chores
115. Autism is diagnosed at:
b. 3 years old
c. 5 years old
d. School age
116. The common characteristic of autism child is:
b. Self destructiveness
117. The nurse is aware that the most common indication in using ECT is:
c. Anorexia Nervosa
118. A therapy that focuses on here and now principle to promote self-acceptance?
a. Gestalt therapy
b. Cognitive therapy
c. Behavior therapy
d. Personality therapy
119. A client has many irrational thoughts. The goal of therapy is to change her:
120. The appropriate nutrition for Bipolar I disorder, in manic phase is:
a. Low fat, low sodium
b. Low calorie, high fat
c. Finger foods, high in calorie
d. Small frequent feedings
121. Which of the following activity would be best for a depressed client?
d. Finger painting
122. The nurse is aware that clients with severe depression, possess which defense mechanism:
123. Nurse John is aware that self mutilation among Bipolar disorder patients is a means of:
a. Overcoming fear of failure
b. Overcoming feeling of insecurity
c. Relieving depression
d. Relieving anxiety
124. Which of the following may cause an increase in the cystitis symptoms?
b. Orange juice
d. Mango juice
125. In caring for clients with renal calculi, which is the priority nursing intervention?
a. Record vital signs
b. Strain urine
c. Limit fluids
d. Administer analgesics as prescribed
126. In patient with renal failure, the diet should be:
a. Low protein, low sodium, low potassium
b. Low protein, high potassium
c. High carbohydrate, low protein
d. High calcium, high protein
127. Which of the following cannot be corrected by dialysis?
c. Elevated creatinine
d. Decreased hemoglobin
128. Tony with infection is receiving antibiotic therapy. Later the client complaints of ringing in the ears. This ototoxicity is damage to:
a. 4th CN
b. 8th CN
c. 7th CN
d. 9th CN
129. Nurse Emma provides teaching to a patient with recurrent urinary tract infection includes the following:
a. Increase intake of tea, coffee and colas
b. Void every 6 hours per day
c. Void immediately after intercourse
d. Take tub bath everyday
130. Which assessment finding indicates circulatory constriction in a male client with a newly applied long leg cast?
a. Blanching or cyanosis of legs
b. Complaints of pressure or tightness
c. Inability to move toes
d. Numbness of toes
131. During acute gout attack, the nurse administer which of the following drug:
a. Prednisone (Deltasone)
d. Allopurinol (Zyloprim)
132. Information in the patients chart is inadmissible in court as evidence when:
a. The client objects to its use
b. Handwriting is not legible
c. It has too many unofficial abbreviations
d. The clients parents refuses to use it
133. Nurse Karen is revising a client plan of care. During which step of the nursing process does such revision take place?
134. When examining a client with abdominal pain, Nurse Hazel should assess:
a. Symptomatic quadrant either second or first
b. The symptomatic quadrant last
c. The symptomatic quadrant first
d. Any quadrant
135. How long will nurse John obtain an accurate reading of temperature via oral route?
a. 3 minutes
b. 1 minute
c. 8 minutes
d. 15 minutes
136. The one filing the criminal care against an accused party is said to be the?
137. A male client has a standing DNR order. He then suddenly stopped breathing and you are at his bedside. You would:
a. Call the physician
b. Stay with the client and do nothing
c. Call another nurse
d. Call the family
138. The ANA recognized nursing informatics heralding its establishment as a new field in nursing during what year?
139. When is the first certification of nursing informatics given?
140. The nurse is assessing a female client with possible diagnosis of osteoarthritis. The most significant risk factor for osteoarthritis is:
141. A male client complains of vertigo. Nurse Bea anticipates that the client may have a problem with which portion of the ear?
a. Tymphanic membranes
b. Inner ear
d. External ear
142. When performing Weber’s test, Nurse Rosean expects that this client will hear
a. On unaffected side
b. Longer through bone than air conduction
c. On affected side by bone conduction
d. By neither bone or air conduction
143. Toy with a tentative diagnosis of myasthenia gravis is admitted for diagnostic make up. Myasthenia gravis can confirmed by:
a. Kernigs sign
b. Brudzinski’s sign
c. A positive sweat chloride test
d. A positive edrophonium (Tensilon) test
144. A male client is hospitalized with Guillain-Barre Syndrome. Which assessment finding is the most significant?
a. Even, unlabored respirations
b. Soft, non distended abdomen
c. Urine output of 50 ml/hr
d. Warm skin
145. For a female client with suspected intracranial pressure (ICP), a most appropriate respiratory goal is:
a. Maintain partial pressure of arterial oxygen (Pa O2) above 80mmHg
b. Promote elimination of carbon dioxide
c. Lower the PH
d. Prevent respiratory alkalosis
146. Which nursing assessment would identify the earliest sign of ICP?
a. Change in level of consciousness
b. Temperature of over 103°F
c. Widening pulse pressure
d. Unequal pupils
147. The greatest danger of an uncorrected atrial fibrillation for a male patient will be which of the following:
a. Pulmonary embolism
b. Cardiac arrest
c. Thrombus formation
d. Myocardial infarction
148. Linda, A 30 year old post hysterectomy client has visited the health center. She inquired about BSE and asked the nurse when BSE should be performed. You answered that the BSE is best performed:
a. 7 days after menstruation
b. At the same day each month
c. During menstruation
d. Before menstruation
149. An infant is ordered to recive 500 ml of D5NSS for 24 hours. The Intravenous drip is running at 60 gtts/min. How many drops per minute should the flow rate be?
a. 60 gtts/min.
b. 21 gtts/min
c. 30 gtts/min
d. 15 gtts/min
150. Mr. Gutierrez is to receive 1 liter of D5RL to run for 12 hours. The drop factor of the IV infusion set is 10 drops per minute. Approximately how many drops per minutes should the IV be regulated?
a. 13-14 drops
b. 17-18 drops
c. 10-12 drops
d. 15-16 drops