Sleep is an important human activity as it keeps a person physically healthy. Among other things, sleep helps a person cope up with stress effectively and enhances a person’s mental function. But sad to say, a lot of people are getting less sleep that their body needs. Individuals who lack sleep are at risk for encountering car accidents three times than those who are sleeping well at night. Furthermore, sleep deprivation has been linked to stress.
- Troubles from work. Most people take their workloads at home and even during bedtime. The demands of the work tend to contribute to the trouble people experience when sleeping. No one can stop the mind from thinking about the day of troubleshooting. What’s worse is that it can even wake a person up in the middle of the night due to these thoughts.
- Too much intake of coffee. Most people take caffeine to start their day. Coffee tends to give a boost that allows a person to make it through the day. But caffeine also exacerbates stress levels that affect the amount of sleep a person gets.
- Stress. The stress hormone, cortisol, is responsible for the jolt of energy experienced when a person is stressed out or threatened. Release of this hormone enables a person to respond well in stressful situations. However, when stress is prolonged cortisol levels increase excessively which contributes to the disruption of a person’s healthy sleep patterns.
- Anxiety. An anxious mind keeps sleep away. Perhaps a person is preoccupied with finding the solution to the problem or worrying about the future. This thoughts increases cortisol levels that robs a person’s sleep.
Tips in Getting Enough Sleep:
- Set regular and healthy nighttime habits. The key to getting quality sleep at night is consistency. A regular schedule of sleeping every night and waking up almost at the same time each day can promote a sufficient amount of a good night’s sleep.
- Use relaxation techniques. Keeping the stress away is achieved by performing progressive muscle relaxation and deep muscle relaxation techniques. Another way to easily move on to sleep is meditation. It tends to relax the body and promote peace.
- Performing sexual activity before sleeping. This has been the favorite technique of most people as it increases the levels of relaxing hormones and provides other advantages to stress management.
- Have a power nap. Napping increases a person’s productivity and fills in the amount of sleep needed.