Urinalysis (Acetic Acid Method)
December 20, 2010 · Leave a Comment
In a community setting, urinalysis using the acetic acid is a good tool for nurses to have an idea about the albumin in the urine. This is done for people with history of hypertension.
- 1 test tube Test tube holder
- 10% acetic acid Urine specimen (early morning urine, midstream flow)
- Alcohol lamp Match
- Dropper (2 pieces)
- Place the paper lining on a table or any clean, flat surface from the client. (clean side out)
- Place the plastic lining (clean side in) over the paper thing.
- Place the CHN bag over the plastic lining, tucking the handles beneath the bag.
- Open the bag, take out the apron, soap in dish and towel.
- Do thorough hand washing.
- Put on your apron.
- Take out the kidney basin and place3 cotton balls with alcohol.
- Take out 2 droppers and place them in the kidney basin, same with the test tube and test tube holder. Take out the match, alcohol lamp, acetic acid and place them near the kidney basin.
- Place the waste receptacle at one of the work area.
- Light the lamp.
- Fill the test tube about 2/3 full of urine.
- Heat the upper portion of the test tube to boiling point.(Mouth of the tube should not face the examiner and client)
- Add 5 drops of 10% acetic acid one drop at a time. Heat again. (Used droppers should be placed near the waste receptacle)
- No turbidityànegative
- Faint turbidity à+
- Heavy Turbidityà++
- Solid (opaque)à +++
- Put off the flame.
- Wash the test tube, test tube and holder and droppers with cotton balls with alcohol (3 pieces)
- Disinfect the kidney basin, test tube and holder and droppers with cotton balls with alcohol (3 pieces), discard 2 pieces of cotton balls. Put the TT, holder and dropper in the kidney basin.
- With the cotton ball with alcohol (saved), disinfect the lamp and the plastic lining.
- Discard waste reeptack
- Do thorough hand washing, dry hands.
- Return all articles in their proper places in the bag.
- Remove apron away from the baby, folding contaminated part in place in the pocket of the bag.
- Fold the plastic lining used top in. Insert in between the bag and its cover.
- Hold the bag with lining, folding contaminated part in place on the top of the plastic lining.
- Close the bag.