Classifications: cardiovascular agent; angiotensin ii-receptor (type at1) antagonist; antihypertensive
Pregnancy Category: C (first trimester); D (second and third trimesters)
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor BP periodically; take trough readings, just prior to the next scheduled dose, when possible.
- Lab tests: Monitor liver function tests, BUN and creatinine, serum potassium, and CBC with differential, periodically.
Patient & Family Education
- Inform physician immediately if you become pregnant.
- Note: Maximum pressure lowering effect is usually evident between 2 and 4 wk after initiation of therapy.
- Notify physician of episodes of dizziness, especially those that occur when making position changes.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.