Cefanex, Ceporex_A, Keflet, Keflex, Keftab, Novolexin_A
Classifications: antiinfective; antibiotic; first-generation cephalosporin
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Determine history of hypersensitivity reactions to cephalosporins and penicillin and history of other drug allergies before therapy is initiated.
- Lab tests: Evaluate renal and hepatic function periodically in patients receiving prolonged therapy.
- Monitor for manifestations of hypersensitivity (see Signs & Symptoms, Appendix F). Discontinue drug and report their appearance promptly.
Patient & Family Education
- Take medication for the full course of therapy as directed by physician.
- Keep physician informed if adverse reactions appear.
- Be alert to S&S of superinfections (see Appendix F). These symptoms should be reported promptly and appropriate therapy instituted.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug.