Classifications: antiinfective; macrolide antibiotic
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for and report loose stools or diarrhea, since pseudomembranous colitis (see Appendix F) must be ruled out.
- Monitor PT and INR closely with concurrent warfarin use.
Patient & Family Education
- Direct sunlight (UV) exposure should be minimized during therapy with drug.
- Take aluminum or magnesium antacids 2 h before or after drug.
- Report onset of loose stools or diarrhea.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.