AMPICILLIN SODIUM AND SULBACTAM SODIUM
Classifications: antiinfective; antibiotic; aminopenicillin
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Determine previous hypersensitivity reactions to penicillins, cephalosporins, and other allergens prior to therapy.
- Lab tests: Baseline C&S tests prior to initiation of therapy; start drug pending results.
- Report promptly unexplained bleeding (e.g., epistaxis, purpura, ecchymoses).
- Monitor patient carefully during the first 30 min after initiation of IV therapy for signs of hypersensitivity and anaphylactoid reaction (see Appendix F). Serious anaphylactoid reactions require immediate use of emergency drugs and airway management.
- Observe for and report symptoms of superinfections (see Appendix F). Withhold drug and notify physician.
- Monitor I&O ratio and pattern. Report dysuria, urine retention, and hematuria.
Patient & Family Education
- Report chills, wheezing, pruritus (itching), respiratory distress, or palpitations to physician immediately.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.