Classifications: cardiovascular agent; calcium channel blocker; antihypertensive agent
Pregnancy Category: C
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor BP for therapeutic effectiveness. BP reduction is greatest after peak levels of amlodipine are achieved 6–9 h following oral doses.
- Monitor for S&S of dose-related peripheral or facial edema that may not be accompanied by weight gain; rarely, severe edema may cause discontinuation of drug.
- Monitor BP with postural changes. Report postural hypotension. Monitor more frequently when additional antihypertensives or diuretics are added.
- Monitor heart rate; dose-related palpitations (more common in women) may occur.
Patient & Family Education
- Report significant swelling of face or extremities.
- Take care to have support when standing & walking due to possible dose-related light-headedness/dizziness.
- Report shortness of breath, palpitations, irregular heartbeat, nausea, or constipation to physician.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.