Abenol, A’Cenol, Acephen, Anacin-3, Anuphen, APAP, Atasol , Campain , Datril Extra Strength, Dolanex, Exdol , Halenol, Liquiprin, Panadol, Pedric, Robigesic , Rounox , Tapar, Tempra, Tylenol, Valadol
Classifications: central nervous system agent; nonnarcotic analgesic, antipyretic
Pregnancy Category: B
Assessment & Drug Effects
- Monitor for S&S of: hepatotoxicity, even with moderate acetaminophen doses, especially in individuals with poor nutrition or who have ingested alcohol over prolonged periods; poisoning, usually from accidental ingestion or suicide attempts; potential abuse from psychological dependence (withdrawal has been associated with restless and excited responses).
Patient & Family Education
- Do not take other medications (e.g., cold preparations) containing acetaminophen without medical advice; overdosing and chronic use can cause liver damage and other toxic effects.
- Do not self-medicate adults for pain more than 10 d (5 d in children) without consulting a physician.
- Do not use this medication without medical direction for: fever persisting longer than 3 d, fever over 39.5° C (103° F), or recurrent fever.
- Do not give children more than 5 doses in 24 h unless prescribed by physician.
- Do not breast feed while taking this drug without consulting physician.